--> divine angst: turnover

Monday, November 01, 2004

turnover

When I got my current job, I was one of four women hired at the same time. We all had the same job title and (roughly) the same duties.

I have been here since the end of February—approximately eight months. Two of my co-hires have moved on. Somehow, I am now in a position of seniority.

I know I work for an institution with a high degree of turnover. Somehow I have managed, in all my time working for this institution (over five years now) to end up, always, with some level of seniority. In my last position, I was the employee with the third-longest service for the department. (The other two had twice- and three-times as much service as me.)

How does this happen to me? I don't think of myself as a static person, someone searching only for a steady income and good benefits. I'm obviously willing to shake things up, what with this whole "law school" thing. So how is it that I invariably end up being around longer than everyone else?

I don't really know where this post is going. I guess I just find it surprising that my employment history is so boring. I think of myself as a seeker of challenges. My resume doesn't necessarily reflect that.