--> divine angst: i'm baaaaaack

Tuesday, October 12, 2004

i'm baaaaaack

Vegas was fun. I lost all the money I gambled with, but enjoyed watching two friends kick some serious ass on the slot machines. I know, how can you kick ass on a slot machine? I can't really answer that question, but these two girls managed. One put five bucks into a machine and ten minutes later had a C-note. Damn!

Today's interesting factoid that I did not know (from the New York Times):
This year is the 50th anniversary of the first successful human organ transplant.

I had no idea. Organ transplants have become so commonplace that I tend to forget this is relatively new technology. We're awfully jaded about transplants, to the extent that when tragedies happen and the surgeries aren't successful, we get very upset with the doctors. (I'm thinking of the gentleman who died after donating part of his liver to his brother. I believe his family sued the hospital for wrongful death.) The fact is, organ transplants are still pretty damn miraculous. Medical technology never ceases to amaze me. Oh, yes, and the rest of that article is pretty interesting.

Lastly, in memoriam: Christopher Reeve, Jaques Derrida, and the University of Texas Longhorns' chance at the national championship.