--> divine angst: Bitter? Rich?

Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Bitter? Rich?

Last night I went to study for the LSAT at one of my favorite watering holes—I was hungry and they have good pub food, and I also really wanted a beer.

So there I was, on the patio, drinking my beer and munching on my chicken strips, slogging through Kaplan's LSAT 180. The table next to me was populated by two guys having a drink together, and I didn't even notice them until one of them got up to leave and said something about having a mediation today. Ah, I thought, lawyers having happy hour.

The next thing I know, the remaining fellow intones over my shoulder, "Don't do it." I turn to look, and he's got a sort of wistful smirk on his face. He says it again, "Don't do it."

Continuing, "We noticed as soon as you pulled out your books. We're both 10-year litigators, and we're already bitter. Don't do it."

I said, "Oh, I want nothing to do with a courtroom. I just want to teach."

He replied, "Just watch out. We're bitter. We have lots of money, but we're bitter."

What I can't figure out is why anyone would go through the hassle of three years of law school, BarBri, junior associateship, and thousands in student loans if they don't actually want to do what they are doing. Or, rather, I get it, but I don't know that I appreciate the bitter species intruding on my happy (perhaps delusional) desire to teach lawyers to write better.