--> divine angst: Working

Monday, August 23, 2004

Working

I'm beginning a new draft of a personal statement. I hope this one works. I have it outlined in my head, and as I think through the various parts, I wonder if I'm focusing too much on this thing or that thing. I need to get it on paper before I can say for sure.

Meanwhile, LSAT study is sloooooow going. As in, I haven't been doing much. I feel like a bit of a slacker over here; I'll browse through the posts on Law School Discussion and wonder how I got so lazy! Some of those people have already finished filling out their applications!

Some of those people, too, are pretty unkind to the uncertain stranger. With every visit, I find my head shaking in disbelief. There are the mean people, who beat low-scorers into deep self-doubt: "You will NEVER get into ANY law school with a 149 on the LSAT!" There are the self-righteous: "If you want to raise your score from a 155 to a 165, you have to completely abandon your social life. I, personally, am studying six hours a day. I can't imagine doing any less, and if you're not doing that much, you won't do well." And there are the judgmental: "I'd maybe consider the University of Chicago, but it's in a shit hole neighborhood, and that just rules it out for me. I mean, it's a good school, but I wouldn't go there."

I don't want to be unfair—there is quite a lot of good advice on the boards, and there are many regular posters who are supportive and kind and encourage newbies. But, like every other message board, there are those who run wild under the cloak of anonymity. Hiding behind their avatars, they troll madly, flame wildly, and likely discourage some people from returning. And that's the true shame. Deciding to go to law school and actually undergoing the process is tough enough. No one who's pre-law needs extra negativity.