--> divine angst: too busy, too busy

Friday, August 27, 2004

too busy, too busy

I have three parties to attend this weekend.

This, to my mind, is too many, particularly considering that two of them are short-notice parties. And of the short notice parties is a one-year old's birthday party! Gah! Now I have to buy a gift. Thankfully, the other two are gift-free. Not having to buy a gift makes a short-notice party much more palatable, but it's still inconvenient: It wrecks my weekend plans.

This weekend, I hoped to do some writing, take a full-length practice LSAT, fix the broken closet, and find places for all the clean laundry that can't be hung because of the broken closet. Now I'll be lucky to get two of those done. Which two? Well, probably the practice test, since that requires the least physical exertion. The other three are a toss-up, depending on whether or not I make it to Home Depot for the drywall putty.

I also hoped to spend a relaxing Sunday afternoon in the kitchen, preparing Sunday dinner. (Sunday dinner is the night we eat at the table, not in front of the TV or computer.) Two lovely New York strip steaks, marinated portobello mushrooms, aparagus, maybe even Bearnaise if my whisking arm felt up to the challenge.

All of this is now questionable, because we will probably be too full of hotdogs and birthday cake to be hungry for my delicious dinner.

There's something about the fall and the start of school that drives people to start planning events. No matter how clear your calendar is in early August, it will be completely full by Labor Day. Every weekend will be booked.

I hoped this fall would be different. Last fall, we were on the verge of getting married, so full weekends were understandable. This year, we have no reason to have so many committments lined up—but we do. I just want one weekend where I can lay on the couch, guilt free, knowing I have nothing to do. But until the LSAT, I have to study; after the LSAT, I have to get my applications completed; after that, we're in the holidays—and, then, BAM, it's spring and we'll be putting the house on the market.

It never ends.