--> divine angst: too early to be festive?

Thursday, November 18, 2004

too early to be festive?

The choir I sing in has begun preparing for our Christmas concert. (Sadly, I will not sing in the concert since I'll be visiting campuses in DC that weekend.) At any rate, we've begun to work on some of the music, and it's definitely put me in the holiday spirit. We're even singing Pat-a-Pan!

So now I'm listening to my college choir's recording of Lessons and Carols (ours is called Look from Afar and I sadly cannot find it for sale online).

I know, I know, Thanksgiving isn't even until next week! What am I doing listening to Christmas music? All I can say is that I love this season. I shudder to see tinsel and fairy lights at the mall this early, but music...music is another story altogether. Good music, that is. (After a season working retail, I can't hear Baby, It's Cold Outside without wanting to hide under a display table.) Plus, this music is really Advent music, totally appropriate for preparing oneself for Christmas. It's also really beautiful and soothing.

Is it wrong that I really want to put our Christmas tree up the day after Thanksgiving? Mr. Angst would disapprove, I'm sure. We'll be at a football game anyway, so I guess it's a moot point. Maybe Saturday?