--> divine angst: just when you get comfortable

Wednesday, July 28, 2004

just when you get comfortable

I've been getting really excited about the prospect of living in Chicago. The programs I've looked at there seem perfect for me, I like the idea of living close to downtown and traveling almost entirely on the train. Even the prospect of some real winter weather has me sort of happy.

Last night, my dear husband told me he's most attracted to the program in Baltimore.

Well, poop.

I've gotten less and less excited about being DC, less and less thrilled with the programs there, and definitely less and less happy with the prospect of dealing with a long commute. I'm well aware that the I-95 corridor between Baltimore and DC is a nightmare of vehicular traffic. I've been told that, unless you live in an ideal neighborhood, life in DC is not all that great as most of it is a cesspool. And the schools there....well, they seem more and more full of themselves with less and less justification.

But marriage is a compromise, right? And if the DC/Baltimore area is where my husband needs to be, then we'll go there. After all, a JD is a JD and it's most important that we BOTH be employable after school, rather than one of us having a shit degree because the other wanted to go to a marginally more respected institution.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that if I got into the University of Chicago, then Chicago would be our best bet. But if I got into Northwestern and Georgetown, it would probably be a bit of a toss up in terms of prestige on my degree.

The funniest thing is that, two weeks ago, I was definitely more excited about DC, and profoundly lukewarm about Chicago. Now I'm eager to visit the Chicago schools, and try living in the cold Midwest. Those same two weeks ago, DH certainly seemed to prefer Chicago (he's always wanted to live there, remember), and considered DC a stretch. Now we've flip-flopped.

Somehow I suspect we'll continue this trend for a while.